**The Ultimate Guide to Pagosa Springs, Colorado**
Pagosa Springs is a charming mountain town located in southwestern Colorado. Known for its natural hot springs, outdoor recreational opportunities, and stunning landscapes, Pagosa Springs is a year-round destination for adventure seekers and relaxation enthusiasts alike. This ultimate guide will help you make the most of your visit to Pagosa Springs.
- By Air: The nearest major airport is Durango-La Plata County Airport (DRO), which is about an hour's drive from Pagosa Springs. Alternatively, you can fly into Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ) and enjoy a scenic 3.5 hour drive north to Pagosa Springs.
When to Visit:
- Summer (June-August): Ideal for hiking, fishing, and outdoor adventures. High temperatures range from 80°F to 90°F.
- Fall (September-November): Witness the stunning fall foliage and enjoy cooler temperatures.
- Winter (December-February): Perfect for skiing, snowboarding, and soaking in hot springs. Expect snow and temperatures ranging from 10°F to 30°F.
- Spring (March-May): Experience the awakening of nature and lower lodging rates.
Things to Do:
1. Soak in the Hot Springs:
- Visit the world-renowned Pagosa Hot Springs, featuring 23 different pools with varying temperatures.
- Relax in the Overlook Hot Springs Spa, offering rooftop pools with breathtaking views.
2. Outdoor Adventures:
- Hiking and mountain biking trails abound in the San Juan National Forest and nearby Weminuche Wilderness.
- Enjoy fishing in the San Juan River, which runs through town.
- In the winter, hit the slopes at Wolf Creek Ski Area, known for its abundant powder.
3. Explore Downtown:
- Stroll along Pagosa Street, where you'll find art galleries, boutiques, and local eateries.
- Check out the Pagosa Springs Center for the Arts for live performances and cultural events.
4. Visit the Geothermal Greenhouse Partnership:
- Learn about sustainable agriculture and see unique geothermal-heated greenhouses.
5. Take a Scenic Drive:
- Drive up Wolf Creek Pass. Keep going up and see the top of the world from Lobo Overlook, and the best views of the Continental Divide.
- Explore the Plumtaw/McMannis Loop for gorgeous views and ancient Aspen Groves.
6. Relax with Spa Treatments:
- Enjoy massages, facials, and other wellness treatments at various spas in town.
7. Outdoor Recreation:
- Go horseback riding, zip-lining, or hot air ballooning for a different perspective of the area.
- Try snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, or snowmobiling during the winter months.
8. Wildlife Watching:
- Keep an eye out for local wildlife, including elk, deer, and bald eagles.
9. Get Beautiful Family or Couple's Portraits Taken in the Mountains:
- Capture unforgettable moments with a professional photoshoot in the stunning mountainous backdrop of Pagosa Springs. I specialize in outdoor and mountain photography, making it a perfect opportunity to create lasting memories against the breathtaking natural scenery.
This addition will allow visitors to not only experience the beauty of Pagosa Springs but also to take home cherished memories captured in the picturesque mountain environment.
Where to Eat:
- Pagosa Baking Company: Start your morning right with freshly baked goods, including pastries, bread, and coffee. A great place for a quick breakfast or a mid-day snack.
- The Alley House Grille: A fine dining restaurant with a cozy atmosphere.
- Kip's Grill and Cantina: Savor Tex-Mex cuisine and margaritas.
- Riff Raff Brewing Company: Great for beer lovers with live music on weekends.
Where to Stay:
Pagosa Springs offers a range of accommodations, from cozy cabins and vacation rentals to upscale resorts and hotels. Check out:
- The Nightingale Motel
- High Creek Lodge
- Pagosa River Domes
- Incredible Pagosa Vacation Rentals
- Check the local event calendar for festivals, such as the Four Corners Folk Festival and Pagosa Springs Jazz Festival, which are popular during the summer.
- Be prepared for varying weather conditions, especially in the mountains.
- Respect the natural environment and follow Leave No Trace principles.
- Make reservations for popular activities and accommodations in advance, especially during peak seasons.
If you want a more local's take on Pagosa Springs, sign up for my newsletter and you will receive my insider's view of this amazing little town.
With its natural beauty and outdoor adventures, Pagosa Springs offers something for everyone. Whether you're seeking relaxation or adventure, you'll find it in this picturesque Colorado town. Enjoy your visit!